Saturday 5 December 2015

Arthritis and Me

Hello :)

I've been wanting to branch out a bit and do a couple of lifestyle posts on my blog, so I can keep it a bit more varied than just beauty posts. I was trying to think of what to write about, as honestly my life  isn't all that interesting, but one thing I would like to share with you all is my experience of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis a few months ago.

At only 24, I didn't think it was something I would have to worry about until much later in life. I have had quite a few health problems in the past, and suffer quite badly with eczema, but I have always been reasonably fit. Exercise regularly and all that. But around 8 months ago I started getting pains in my fingers and my ankles.

I didn't think much of it at first, just put it down to wearing heels and writing a lot by hand at work, but when it started getting unbearable, I decided to visit my GP. He ran some blood tests and took a family history, and a few weeks later put me in for a referral to see a rheumatologist.

Getting used to the daily pain was difficult. I take anti-inflamatories and painkillers daily to keep things under control, but flair ups are unavoidable. Wearing heels is completely impossible for me, and there are days where I struggle to do fiddly tasks with my hands such as buttons on a shirt, so I have even had to alter the way I dress to accommodate this illness.

For those that don't know, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder, where your body's immune system attacks the lining of your joints. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to look into some kind of steroid treatments which will hopefully help, but to be so young and feel like you have the body of an 80 year old can definitely get you down. I'm lucky in the fact that I can still work full time and have a social life without pain dictating my every decision, however there are days where getting out of bed is a job in itself.

I know there are a lot of people out there that have it much worse than me, but it has been difficult to deal with the changes I have had to make in every day life, as well as dealing with the pain which can get excruciating at times. Fingers crossed some new treatment will help.

I would love to hear any of your experiences with similar illnesses, and methods you use to cope.

Thank you for reading everyone :)

Love to you all x

2 comments:

  1. it's strange that i've been hearing and reading about younger people having rheumatoid arthritis lately, when it's something most people associate with the elderly. it's definitely hard to get used to the idea of having an illness, especially at the beginning, and even more so when you know it's something you'll have to deal with for the rest of your life. but it'll get easier, especially if one remembers to stay positive! i hope you're doing well and that the treatments will be helpful! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your arthritis but thanks for sharing :) I don't suffer from it but I suffer from a rare headache disorder that just flares up when I least expect it. If it's one thing I've learnt in 2015 is not to put too much pressure on myself - if I can't do something that's okay. Everyone is different. Just take things at your own pace and the ones who are important should understand :) hope you're doing okay and wish you a manageable 2016!

    Hana | www.hanarosella.blogspxot.co.uk ♥

    ReplyDelete